Sunday, May 14, 2017

Event Number Two

Me 
For this week’s event, I went to E. Joteva’s art show. I was amazed. Since this was my first time going to an art exhibition in which the artist is there I did not know what to expect. Having Joteva there really made the work more personal. When I arrived I was very confused. For those who were not there, the basic idea was three cryo sculptures which seemed like frozen balls of items like petals, leaves and other nature items. They were hung from the ceiling and allowed to melt into a bowl for a duration of three days.
Cryo Sculpture Number One
I cannot express in words the feelings that I felt while watching them and hearing them drip. It almost felt like the sculptures were alive and the sound of the dripping was the heartbeat. This is exactly what this class aims to teach. The idea that art and science work together in the world was expressed beautifully in this art exhibition. I would recommend this show to absolutely everyone regardless of their major or age. What surprised me the most about this work was the artist's use of technology to make an inanimate item come to life. I would argue that this work breaks the boundaries between life art and technology. It does so by including the sound of the dripping liquid, a room showing the spinning images of the three sculptures and the Virtual Reality simulation of what it would look like from inside. I was moved by the art and impressed by the idea behind it. If I had the time I would have loved to see the sculptures when they melted more to see if the feelings I felt would have stayed the same.


Cryo Sculpture Number Two and Three
This show intrigued me so much I stayed for thirty minutes siting infront of the sandy sculpture thinking about what it could all mean. I knew the easy way out would have been to ask the artist herself but I thought it would be more interesting to discover what it meant to me. Overall I learned that life exists even in the smallest of places. I think it also showed that with the development of technology the idea of life itself has altered. This reminded me of the lectures on robotics because since technology is starting to advance robots are beginning to have life like characteristic. These include making their own decisions, being able to communicate and storing memory. In a way there is now an era of objects inbetween alive and inanimate.
Works Cited
Benjamin, Walter. The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction. London: Penguin,           2008. Print.
Vesna,Victoria. “Lecture” Robotics + Art. 12 April. 2017. Lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment